03 October 2013

Day 21 (Oct. 2nd)

tonight i sang for the sound healing after ecstatic dance in oakland. my friend Damian played the hang drum while i chanted and sang the song i posted last night. i improv'd the lyrics and the melody to flow with the rhythm that he played with.

i realize that when i close my eyes and sing i kind of retreat into my own world. i was only slightly aware that 200 people were on the dancefloor listening. it's always kind of been this way but more so at the wednesday night dances when the room is dark and it's easier to feel like it could just be me up there singing for 2 people or even just for myself. there's so much freedom in improv. i realize that i really trust myself with this style of music offering and performances because there is nothing to mess up. nothing pre-rehearsed that i can get "wrong" and there is so much liberation in this...

i got really good feedback from the sound guy and from a few other people which of course confirms that someone appreciated it and it made at least a few people drop in and feel something, whatever that was.

No comments:

Post a Comment