15 March 2010

seeing through new eyes every day

today i saw the San Francisco bay for the first time. the first time through my perception as it is now. as perception and consciousness changes, so does the way I experience the world. this seems self evident but its helpful to take note of. when we revisit things again and again with "new eyes" it helps to fully see the progress we have made. my understandings of music, of lyrics, of poetry, of flowers, of fear, of joy, of love deepens over time creating an ever richer landscape in which to explore again and again.

the light reflecting off the peaks in the water caught my attention first. not fixing my gaze for too long on one spot opened up this whole universe of stars twinkling in the day time. bringing tears to my eyes. feeling a sort of sadness that I had not experienced the beauty of this simple but awe inspiring scene in this way before.

wondering what else have I been missing out on? how long have I been partially sleepwalking? every day, I get more into my body and every day, i can let the beauty in even deeper. sometimes it feels like it could tear me apart. the opening hurts just as much as it is joyful. the tears come from a place of complete awe and child like wonder at what else is there to see now?

"cultivate radical curiosity". this was a suggestion I received a couple years ago by a woman I respect deeply. this has stuck with me over the years and I want to put it out there to whoever is reading this blog. we all have an inner child. it is that part of us that never wants to stop seeing new things, experience new places, eat new foods, taste new chocolate. it is vital to feed this part of us! without doing so, creates a mundane and boring adult existence lacking uncontrollable laughter and food fights! do something spontaneous today. do something new each day or each week that you have been wanting to do but have thought, "no, i can't do that! that's too silly". if it's silly then it SHOULD be done. now, this is just one way to "cultivate radical curiosity". the one that sounds good to me today. life is TOO short to not laugh every day. i'm going to stop before this totally sounds like an inspirational speaker blog posting. eh what the heck. i don't really care. maybe people need motivation like this. enjoy your radical curiosity cultivation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment